Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cheese Enchiladas

Growing up we NEVER had enchiladas. Seriously! I did not have them until I was in my late 20's and now I love them. They are a staple in our repertoire for dinner. I have come across 2 ways to cook them that I personally love and use. I have had them at a friend's houses and theirs were tasty too. I thought I would share the recipe I used most of the time. (The other one I got off Pioneer Women so if you really want you can go to her website and search for it.)

This recipe was the one from the first time I ever had enchiladas. They were made by my friend Thom. (I have mentioned his tasty food before.)
What is needed:
1 can enchilada sauce - red, green, whatever you want. I used the small cans since there are only two of us but there are larger ones too for your whole family. The small can is good for about 3 enchiladas.
Equal amount of sour cream - or so. (I use fat free most of the time)
Tortillas
Cheese
Onions/green onions - optional

Put the sauce and sour cream into a pan on the stove. Warm while mixing until the sour cream is all melted into the sauce.

Pour a bit of the sauce into the bottom of a dish. (I usually use a glass 8x8 dish) Put cheese and onions in a tortilla, roll up and place on top of the sauce in the dish. Pour the rest of the sauce over the tortillas then sprinkle with some more cheese and green onions as a garnish.

Oh yeah, heat the oven to 350. Put the dish in the oven until the cheese on top is melted. Last night I left it in until the cheese had browned up a bit.
And there you go.

I think one of the best things about enchiladas is that they taste great as left overs!

4 comments:

Faires Bears and Toads said...

I have never thought about using sour cream in the sauce. I am going to try that tomorrow!

Mary said...

So yummy! Funny, because we love having chicken enchiladas here! Have you ever made those before? If not, I can give you my recipe, they are yummy!!! :)

heather said...

OKAY YUMMY!!!!! I am going to have to make some now.

Unknown said...

I personally am really enjoying the new cooking segments! Looks so yummmm